For more than 28 years, the Special Service Area (SSA) program has provided communities with the financial means to create, maintain and manage clean, attractive and competitive commercial districts. SSAs, known as Business Improvement or Community Improvement Districts in other cities, provide a fair and transparent way to finance and manage improvement programs important to communities. The Chicago City Council passed the Establishment Ordinance for the Old Town SSA #48 on December 9, 2009. For more information on SSA’s in the City of Chicago, please click here.
What are the boundaries of Old Town SSA #48?
- North side of North Avenue from North Park to LaSalle
- South side of North Avenue from Orleans to LaSalle
- Both sides of Wells from North Avenue to Schiller Street
- Both sides of Wells from North Avenue to north property line of properties at Wells/North intersection
When does the SSA Commission meet?
The Commission meetings for SSA #48 Old Town are open to the public and are currently scheduled as follows:
- Monday, January 11, 2016, at O’Briens Restaurant, 1528 N. Wells Street, 2nd Floor Oak Room, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016, at O’Briens Restaurant, 1528 N. Wells Street, 2nd Floor Oak Room, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Monday July 18, 2016 at O’Briens Restaurant, 1528 N. Wells Street, 2nd Floor Oak Room, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Monday, October 24, 2016, at Kamehachi, 1531 N. Wells Street, 2nd Floor, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Special Service Areas are required to post all recent meeting minutes in the interest of transparency and community engagement. All SSA 48 Old Town meeting minutes from July 2010 are included below. Each meeting’s minutes are approved at the next Regular Commission Meeting before being posted online.
SSA #48 Services Provided
The commission of SSA 48 Old Town has entered into an agreement with CleanStreet to provide district-wide litter abatement every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
The commission of SSA 48 Old Town has entered into an agreement with AGB Investigative Services to provide on-street security patrols on Friday evening from 10:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. and Saturday evening from 11:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
The commission of SSA 48 Old Town has entered into an agreement with Patch Landscaping to provide 1″ tolerance sidewalk snow clearance for the period of November 1st through April 1st.
The commission partially reimburses Service Provider OTMRA for Landscaping and Street Decoration services provided by locaaly-owned business Old Town Gardens.